As the leading independent advocate for UK science and engineering, CaSE is having a busy year. Here we celebrate our latest achievements and set out our ambitions for 2021.
- Ensuring the uplift in public funding for science and research was sustained at the Budget, in line with the trajectory to reach an investment target of 2.4% of GDP in R&D by 2027, we're now determined to maintain this uplift at the Autumn Spending Review.
- Building a compelling case towards sustaining and growing public and political support for R&D investment over the coming decade. We have secured a £1.1 million grant from the Wellcome Trust to take forward the next phase of our R&D Decade project, further details of which will be published soon.
- Contributing to the government's newly published Innovation Strategy, outlining how the government will focus support businesses and institutions at the cutting edge of innovation. The strategy includes actions that CaSE has recommended on R&D in its report, Building on Scientific Strength.
- Advocating to secure a commitment from Government to fund UK participation in Horizon Europe without affecting existing science budgets. We've now secured a positive outcome on this campaign which you can read more about here.
- Publishing a new policy report briefing Inspiring Innovation setting out the key challenges facing science education across the UK and putting forward recommendations to support the provision of high-quality science education.
- Positively influencing immigration policy to support and enhance efforts to raise the UK's research intensity.
- Working with our members to ensure that the entire science and engineering sector recovers from the impact of Covid-19 so it can play a leading role in driving forward UK health and prosperity.
- Seeking to raise the political profile of science and engineering across the UK. We recently undertook a campaign of work during the UK-wide elections in May including party engagement and letter writing.