As the leading independent advocate for UK science and engineering, CaSE is having a busy year. Here we celebrate our latest achievements and set out our ambitions for 2021.
- Ensuring the uplift in public funding for science and research was sustained at the Budget, in line with the trajectory to reach an investment target of 2.4% of GDP in R&D by 2027, we're now determined to maintain this uplift at the Autumn Spending Review.
- Building a compelling case towards sustaining and growing public and political support for R&D investment over the coming decade. We have secured a £1.1 million grant from the Wellcome Trust to take forward the next phase of our R&D Decade project, further details of which will be published soon.
- Contributing to the government's newly published Innovation Strategy, outlining how the government will focus support businesses and institutions at the cutting edge of innovation. The strategy includes actions on R&D that CaSE recommended in its report, Building on Scientific Strength.
- Publishing a new policy report briefing Inspiring Innovation setting out the key challenges facing science education across the UK and putting forward recommendations to support the provision of high-quality science education.
- Positively influencing immigration policy to support and enhance efforts to raise the UK's research intensity.
- Working with our members to ensure that the entire science and engineering sector recovers from the impact of Covid-19 so it can play a leading role in driving forward UK health and prosperity.
- Seeking to raise the political profile of science and engineering across the UK. We recently undertook a campaign of work during the UK-wide elections in May including party engagement and letter writing.