As the leading independent advocate for UK science and engineering, CaSE is gearing up for yet another busy year, building on our successes from 2020.
Already this year we’ve hosted a digital roundtable on how the government can best support research, made representation to HM Treasury on what we want to see in the upcoming Spring Budget and held one-on-one meetings with senior officials from across Whitehall.
Our ambitions are now to:
- Ensure the uplift in public funding for science and research is sustained at the Spring Budget and beyond, in line with the trajectory to reach an investment target of 2.4% of GDP in R&D by 2027.
- Build a compelling case towards sustaining and growing public and political support for R&D investment over the coming decade. Working with the Wellcome Trust, CaSE is honing the evidence, messages and techniques needed to take this campaign forward.
- Advocate to secure a commitment from Government to fund UK participation in Horizon Europe without affecting existing science budgets.
- Produce a policy briefing setting out the key challenges facing science education across the UK and putting forward recommendations to support the provision of high-quality science education.
- Positively influence immigration policy, such that it supports and enhances efforts to raise the UK's research intensity.
- Work with our members to ensure that the entire science and engineering sector recovers from the impact of Covid-19 so it can play a leading role in driving forward UK health and prosperity.
- Seek to raise the political profile of science and engineering during the UK-wide elections in May through a campaign of policy recommendations, party engagement, and analysis.